Monday, June 22, 2009

Sittin' instead of Fishin'

I did not manage to get up to the lake to do some fishing over the past weekend. I sure hope that everyone caught a few for me.

Instead I was looking after my grandson who is all of 9 months old. I have already bought him two fishing rods and reels! None of those cheap "Spiderman" , "Scooby Doo", "Donald Duck" or any of that type of rods will ever be seen in my grandson's hand. Not if I have anything to do with it anyways.

I gave it a lot of thought and decided that the best rod and reel to start him off with would be a small "ice fishing" rod and reel. I picked up a "Rhino" combo unit for one main reason. They are virtually unbreakable! Perfect for a little fisherman who is just starting out. It will still give him a good feel for the fish biting and will handle even a large fish without the worry of it breaking. As a side bonus, he will have a good little ice fishing rod when he is a bit older and graduates to the Shimano 5 foot graphite rod and reel combo that was my second choice for him. It has a light - medium action and is combined with a Sahara SH1000FD reel. I will spool it up with 6 pound test "Berkley Trilene Fluorocarbon" line. Again, as he gets older, this will be an excellent ultralight rod and reel for him to have for perch, smaller trouts, grayling etc.

The other little one I am currently sitting is a 2 year old Yorkshire terrier that goes by the name of Muffin. She is more of a handful than my grandson is by far. Although my own Lab cross Roxy puts up with her, Roxy "the fishin hound" does not really like Muffin. Not one bit. Can you say jealous, nose is out of joint, no need to go any further here... Muffin belongs to my parents, and I am looking after her while my stepfather (Bert - AKA "The Mayor of Fawcett Lake") recovers a bit from having major surgery a couple weeks ago. For those of you who know Bert, he is doing quite well and recovering much faster than his surgeon/Doctor had expected. He is out of the hospital and back at home.

No comments: