Monday, June 8, 2009

Lost count

Unfortunately I did not manage to get up to the lake in time to do any fishing on Friday.

Saturday I traveled the lake from the docks in front of Broken Paddle to the deep whole west of Six mile point. The weather was cool. Water temp hovered right around the 54F mark most of the day. Still pretty dang cold for this time of year if you ask me. Small pike were abundant almost everywhere. The only place that I managed to catch a few walleye of any size was on the southern rocky point of Birch Island. 18 feet of water seemed to be the sweet spot. I did catch a few in shallower, but the fish definitely got smaller as the water got shallower. Still not a one over the elusive 50cm mark.

Sunday I stayed around the east end of the lake, working the point by the "orange" boundary marker for the first hour or so. Managed to land a few 17 inchers and many smaller walleye. Small pike again were abundant as well. Managed to survive the mini storm that rolled past dumping down some rain and hail for about 10 seconds. After that the wind changed directions. Then changed again and then one more time just for the heck of it. At one point the wind was blowing both from the south and from the west at the same time. In between all the wind changes I decided to head over to "blank" (no name that I know of) point. Basically the large point on the south shore where the lake widens out as you head west from Broken Paddle/FLR. Anywho... A fishaholics dream come true! As I was not really looking to keep any to eat, I had a great time here. As fast as I could drop another jig and minnow down to 18 feet I had another fish. Most times it would be a walleye and once in a while a pike would strike. I honestly can't tell you how many fish I caught. It was simply non stop. I went through two tubs of minnows and then tossed out a jig with a 3 inch "Gulp Alive" leech and they kept hitting that till it was shredded. It was a hoot! Would have been a great day to have a few younger kids with me. Definitely would have had them hooked on fishing forever.

Tell us your tales from the weekend...

No comments: