Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The name game.

I have been heading up to Fawcett Lake for roughly 35 years. I rarely fish any other Lake. For the first couple of years my parents rented a cabin at Fawcett lake resort. Then they bought a small trailer and became "annuals" as they are known. Every few years they would trade in the trailer for a little bigger one. The last trailer they had there was a 35 foot park model with a single pull out. It was one of the first models to have that feature. Back then, when they said "pull" out, they meant it. No fancy motorized mechanisms. That trailer still sits on top of the hill at the resort. Sixteen years ago my parents bought a lot at Broken Paddle. The family would head up on weekends and work on clearing the lot, bucking up all the aspen and stacking it all around the property like a wall around a castle. My daughter cut her teeth on a 125 Susuki quad at the age of five. She would drive around in circles towing a set of harrows behind her. Eventually all her hard work made it possible for us to get out of all the mud and finally have grass. After clearing the lot, my brothers and I, with a little help from friends and other relatives, built a small cabin for the folks to enjoy in their retirement.

Now that you have a little bit of back ground, you are probably scratching your head wondering what this all has to do with "the name game". Over the years I have come to know some of the spots around the lake by names that the "old timers" referred to them as. Some of the names are not all that old or well known for that matter. I humbly point you to a small point on the western side of Broken Paddle that some refer to as "Tim's point" as I can be found fishing there more times than not. It is also where I caught the largest walleye of my life, a 28.5 incher. It is on the cabin wall if you don't believe me....LOL. Another example would be a spot that I refer to as "Nicks nook". Any guess as to why? If you said that Nick fishes that spot a lot then you would be correct!

So now you have an idea where this is going. I have made up a jpeg image of the lake with all of the names that I know of around the lake. What I am looking for is more names that people use to refer to specific places on and around Fawcett lake. I will update the image with the names as they come in to the comments Tall Tales (The scuttlebutt) section of this post. Anything to back up why a particular spot was given the name would be helpful. I'm going to refer to this as the "Fawcett lake project".

Let the fun and the arguing begin!

The Fawcett Lake Project

Click on the pic for the big picture

Last Updated: 6/05/2009

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello Tim,
Appreciate your obsessions for Fawcett Lake. I was at Fawcett Lake Resort leasing cabin#2 from 2001 to 2004. Love every moments and all of it.
Most of the names sounds familiar. Adding one more, the bay between Beaver Bay and The Narrows is known as Pelican Bay.
The area east of Rock Point is known as Sawmill Alley. Hence all the sawdust washing up on the shores until today, especially on a windy day.
You're awesome.

Jimmy.

Tim said...

Thanks for the input Jimmy. Every little bit helps. This map does not show all the subtle details of the lake. I definately know the area you are referring to as "Pelican Bay". Makes perfect sense as that is where the big buggers nest. That area is closer to the mouth of the Howard river and part of Beaver bay (watch out for the barb wire) I think I have the location on the map marked pretty close to where it actually is.

Although I have never have heard the area called Sawdust Alley before, again it does make sense.

The whole sawdust thing will be a subject of a future post.