Thursday, May 22, 2008

May Long 2008

The ice is all gone but the water temp is below normal for this time of year. It was not a pleasant experience wading out, putting in the boat hoists and docks, even wearing chest waders.

I did manage to get in a bit of fishing after the work was all done. I covered a lot of territory from the east end by Fawcette lake resort, I tried all along the north shore west past Birch Island where I then crossed over to the south shore. I then fished my way back east. I trolled a bit with Wally divers. Stopping at some of the better points and tried a jig and minnow/leech at times. The minnows out did the leeches by far. The action was sparse to say the least. Two small Walleyes around 14 inches, and several small Northerns, most under 24 inches.

There was no shortage of debris floating all over the lake after the nasty winds on Sunday, but that is not far from the norm at Fawcett Lake.

I do have a bit of a beef with some ice fisher person. I lied, it is a huge beef. As I pulled up to one of my favorite spots on the lake, I found a broken lawn chair, a destroyed pop up ice fishing tent, what was left of a cooler and numerous beverage containers. All apparently left behind by some out doors "enthusiast" who could not be bothered to remove their own garbage from the lake area. Who ever you are, you will be happy to know that I loaded it all into my boat and took it all to the Smith dump where it belongs. I'll be keeping the couple of dollars I get for the cans and bottles for my efforts. May you never catch another fish in your lifetime!

On that same note... The loggers have been busy clear cutting all along the Paul Lake/Old Dump roads. Some "nice people" have decided that this area now makes a great dump. Give your heads a shake people. Quit being so flipping lazy and take your garbage to a proper dump. It is only 17 miles down the road after all. I am getting tired of cleaning up after your lazy asses. Unlike some people, I want this area to remain the wonderful natural area that is is supposed to be. An area I can go out to and enjoy seeing wild life and beautiful scenery. Again people, give your heads a shake and hope that I never see you doing this, as I will report you without hesitation. It is disgusting what you are doing to such a wonderful place.

Changing the topic... It appears that Fawcett Lake Resort is closed. I have yet to find out for how long. Rumor has it, it will be for a year or two while they revamp all the lots which will then be sold in what might be described as a "condo" based idea. You will "own" the lot but will still pay a fee for upkeep of the common area's. Or at least that is how I understand it. I will try to find out more for a future post on this topic.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anyone thinking of owning a lot at Fawcett Lake Resort forget it. Our family has leased a lot at the resort for 18 years. The past five have been nothing but lies and promises. Our family have never been trouble makers and always gone above and beyond to help who ever is managing the resort. This year I was informed that there could be one person on the lease and if that person is not at the lake no-one else would be permitted to be. Given it is a family lake lot the possablity of that is rediculous.Dealing with Curtis Albach (who is the owner of the resort) is like pulling teeth. The man has no buisness sense at all and trys to bully you around when you have done nothing wrong and have complied with everything he wants. He most likly will have a lake lot at fawcett, if the lots ever do get sold, and will always have a presense there.Our family is sick of his threats and feel indangered when up there with him. Nothing has happend there for 5 years and nothing will happen for a while. If some day the lots go for sale, given as dumb as he is i'm sure he will want an outragous amount for a average 100' by 50' lot. I am sick of having to deal with the guy and wont be going anymore. However the lake is beutiful and I have many great memories there.

Sincerly,
Angry Resort Storage Fee Payer!

Tim said...

Sounds like the apple does not fall far from the tree. It was his father that running things when we were over there and he was the reason we left after about 15 years there. When we first started going up there it was the Browns who owned it and it was a great place. When they sold it, it went down hill quick. It will never be anything close to what it once was, that I know for sure.

I agree it is a beautiful place and that is why we bought a lot around the corner at Broken Paddle.